The Buddy Programme
The Buddy Programme is based on the philosophy outlined in Presentation College, Currylea’s Vision Statement.
“…to create a stable environment which will allow students to develop morally, emotionally, intellectually, physically and spiritually, giving them a love for learning, developing self-esteem and confidence and preparing them for life”
The overall aim of the Buddy Programme is to build a collaborative and caring school community, promoting social and support networks, where each girl feels a sense of belonging to Presentation College, Currylea.
The Buddy System has a two-fold role:
- To ease the transition from Primary School to Secondary school by providing a link between First Years and Senior Students, thus supporting the First Years as they establish familiarity with the new school environment.
- To promote leadership and mentoring skills in students chosen as Young Social Innovators (YSI) Advocates.
Recognising the importance of peer support is at the heart of Buddy Programme.
It is expected that:
- The First Years will benefit from having a support network and feeling a sense of belonging in Presentation College, Currylea.
- The YSI advocates benefit by acknowledging their leadership responsibility, displaying kindness as they act as a positive role model
The outline of the programme
- Each First Year student is paired with a YSI advocate who will be a friendly face and mentor to the student throughout the year. Individual student needs are taken into consideration when matching the students and mentors.
- The YSI advocate coordinator organises the programme.
- The YSI advocates are provided with guidance and advice from their coordinator on the role of the buddy prior to their first meeting with the First Years.
- The Buddies meet with First Year formally at least four times a year.
At the initial meeting, they are introduced and given time to get to know each other. Following this The YSI advocates are encouraged to take the initiative to develop the connections between them. This can be facilitated by further arranged meetings during class time.
- The coordinator meets with YSI advocates every week and follows up on any issues arising.
2016 – 2017 Buddies are:
To be arranged